Monday, December 17, 2018

Monday Musings

I want to be a better journalist.  Um, I mean, someone who keeps up with their personal journal in a much better way than I do now.  I was rather proficient at it when I was a teen, but I stopped when I turned 18, thinking that adults didn’t keep diaries like little girls.  Yeah. So. I was wrong. 

But getting back into the habit has been really hard.  You’d think just pick up a pen and write, but no.  I’ve learned a couple things about myself.  One, never sing where anyone else can hear me; and two, I prefer my journaling almost equally private. 

As a kid with a working mother, I had lots of alone time.  As a stay-at-home mom who homeschools her kids, in a small apartment, there is no such thing as “alone time.”  For the record, I wouldn’t trade that for the world, but I do need to figure out how to adapt to the way things are right now in a way that I can feel more comfortable. 

While my goal is to journal with pen and paper, I also want to have a digital form, too.  Good grief, there are a lot of diary apps out there!  I wanted something that synced across the web and my devices – those seem to cost money.  I really like WriteADay (rainbows!) but it doesn’t sync or have a web version.  😦 

I downloaded Journey journal to my computer, after checking it out on my tablet, and promptly got hit with a payment button, so I uninstalled it.  It looks awesome, I just wasn’t willing to pay.

Journal It seems to have a lot of great features, but doesn’t seem to have a web version. 

I know I can’t type on my devices to save my life, but I can add a picture or a couple of words (word suggestions help!), which is why I also wanted a web version so I could type – all this in addition to a pen and paper journal.

No, I don’t ask for much.  😉

Know what I ended up doing? 

WordPress.  Yep, I made a totally private blog.  I can add to it from any of my devices AND my computer, everything gets synced automatically, I can add tags and photos, all the entries are dated, and geo-tagged if I want, and it’s free!  FTW!  Plus, I can change the themes at my whim, which means I can do different colors (rainbows!).  If I wanted to, I could even share an entry with someone if I was struggling with something and wanted a little feedback. 

All that remains is some discipline (I think that’s going to be my word of the year for 2019).  I have a lot of things planned for 2019, but they all center around that. 

So, that thousand mile journey just got one step shorter.  😉

And how was your Monday?

All rights reserved by Vanessence



via WordPress

Musings, Journaling

No comments:

Post a Comment