Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Out of the Whirlwind

Something happened Sunday night.  I don’t know what it was and I won’t pretend I have any idea.  All I can do is report on what happened and then roll tape, for those who care to watch.

My kids and I have taken to storm watching this year.  I’ve always loved storms, but it’s something my kids have warmed up to.  They started out afraid when they were little, and even though they’re older now, when we got the tornado warnings Sunday night, my daughter had her moment of freak-out.  When she was calmer, and when the storm had pretty much passed, the kids and I stepped out on our little porch area to watch.  The rain and wind were winding down, and the lightning, wow!  It was constant!  I have never seen anything like what we saw Sunday night.  The lighting zipped from the north to the south then to the east and back again, in this constant round of ping-pong.  I don’t know how else to describe it.  There were no breaks between bursts.

We stood in awe and I made a crack that God was putting Great America to shame, showing us what fireworks REALLY looked like.  We talked about how in the Bible it says His face is like lightning, and His voice like thunder.  We felt like we were witnessing an ultimate sort of entertainment, seeing God’s glory on display and reveling in the fact that we were lucky enough to see it.  I even applauded.  Silly, perhaps, but such was our mood.

I don’t know how long we were out there.  At least half an hour, perhaps longer.  I took a couple of short videos with my phone, because the strobe light effect was so intense.  Eventually the clouds parted and we could see the bolts of lightning zigging and zagging across the sky.  Once our necks decided they couldn’t keep that position anymore – heads tipped back to see the sky – I decided one last little video to capture the lightning bolts and then we’d head in.

Not even a minute into my last video, my son said, “Look!  What is that?”  I turned my head but not my phone yet, because I figured he probably saw another person out walking in the rain like he had earlier.  I saw this … light thing, this glowing thing, zooming toward us, like a missile.  It came from over the top of the building across from us.  For a split second, I thought it was something on fire, an ember perhaps, caught on a wind, but there really wasn’t any wind (the flag on the pole across from us was still) so I thought perhaps it was a bird on fire and it was dive-bombing us.  I took a step to stand between it and my kids.  But then the thing came to a dead stop.  In the sky.  About 20-30’ off the ground, about 40’ feet away from us.  And it hung there, just glowing.  It looked like a flame, inside a glass ball.  There was no sound.  It just hung there.  And our jaws hung open.

It didn’t move for about a minute or so.  It flickered like a flame, but it didn’t raise or lower or move forward or back, it just stayed right where it was, almost like it was looking at us.  Then, it seemed to slowly turn about 90° and it glided slowly away toward the south.  Then it disappeared.

So we came in.

We were kind of shook up.  We don’t know what it was or even what it could possibly be.  We have no real ideas or explanations.  It was soundless and it didn’t behave like anything we’ve ever seen before.  I uploaded the video I took, so others could see.  My phone camera isn’t the greatest and the graininess of it makes it kind of hard to distinguish, but you can see that it’s there and how it behaved.

Have you ever seen anything like that?

All rights reserved by Vanessence

Yep, we had us some storms!


Filed under: Personal Tagged: Chicago metropolitan area, Funnel cloud, Illinois, Lightning, National Weather Service, Personal, Storm, Storms, Strange, Thunderstorm, Tornado warning, Weather, Weird

via WordPress

Personal, Chicago metropolitan area, Funnel cloud, Illinois, Lightning, National Weather Service, Storm, Storms, Strange, Thunderstorm, Tornado warning, Weather, Weird

No comments:

Post a Comment