Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Topics: Absence

How’s your 2018 so far? 

Me, I got goals.  I don’t know how I lost so much focus in 2017, but I’m bound and determined to have a better year this year.  I know part of my issue toward the end of the year (Sept) was the death of my computer, but I’d lost it long before then, really.  The dead computer just pushed me from unfocussed to some other galactic map, so to speak.  Bad diet, bad habits, bad discipline, blah blah blah.  I’m sure you’re not unfamiliar with that drill.  We humans drop the ball from time to time, and this year was my turn to drop it with a resounding crash.

So I’m going to do better this year.  I’ve been asked to help with web stuff for another ministry (yay!) and I’m going to really focus on getting not just my act together, but getting my soaping business off the ground. 

I told my kids this was “The Year of the Purge.”  They looked nervous.  These are kids who haven’t played with some of their toys in years but don’t want to get rid of them for the simple fact that they’ve had them a long time. 

Uh, no.  Just, no.  I got junk I need to toss, and so do they.  My husband is secretly cheering, I know.  He learned years ago not to press me on getting rid of things.  He deals with his own stuff but I’ve warned him he’d better not get “delete happy” with any of my stuff, lol.  But I’ve accumulated things and now I need to purge things.  (No, sorry Babe, not the purple coat.) 

I’ve managed to get through the 1000+ things that were backlogged in my feed Reader.  I can’t even remember the last time I’ve done that.  So, it’s a step toward progress.

And like all the best progress, it will happen a little at a time, and I’m fine with that. 

For a long time I’ve been trying to do this blog series thing where I pick a word beginning with successive letters of the alphabet and do a post about it.  It appeals to my “list-i-ness.”  Twenty-six letters, fifty-two weeks, ahh, the symmetry! 

Yeah, I’ve failed each time I’ve tried. 

But, I’m going to try again! 

Today, this week, my word is absence. 

ab·sence (ăb′səns) n.

1. The state of being away.

2. The time during which one is away.

3. Lack; want: an absence of leadership.

4. The state of being absent-minded; inattentiveness: absence of mind.

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Absence – definition of absence by The Free Dictionary

It jumped out at me as I was browsing A words. 

There are people absent from my life whom I miss.  And will continue to miss. 

There is a serious absence of discipline in my life, but that’s about to change. 

I can be profoundly absent-minded at times, especially when my diet is bad.  I can remember my phone number from when I was 5, I won’t forget your birthday, but ask me what I was going to get from the other room and I will have forgotten by the time I get there. 

And my husband, who has been home these last few weeks on vacation, is heading back to work today leaving his absence sorely felt around the place.  He took such good care of me and the kids when we all fell sick right as his vacation was starting.  I felt bad, but he said it gave him a chance to be there for all of us in ways he’d never really been able to before, and he was actually glad to be the caretaker.  He always makes me laugh, this man of mine, and the kids, too.  He’s a bright spot in our lives, and we are really going to miss him.  He’s a part of me.  I commented to my son once that I felt like I really “got Dad,” and he replied, “Sometimes I think you get Dad better than Dad gets Dad.”  I learn people, it’s what I do, and after nearly 20 years, I think I’ve learned him pretty well.  😀 

His absence is going to make this place feel pretty empty.  Even after all these years, I still don’t like it when he’s gone. 

All rights reserved by Vanessence




via WordPress

Topics, Absence

No comments:

Post a Comment