Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Topics: Balance

Today, this week, my word is Balance.

bal·ance

(băl′əns)

n.

1. A weighing device, especially one consisting of a rigid beam horizontally suspended by a low-friction support at its center, with identical weighing pans hung at either end, one of which holds an unknown weight while the effective weight in the other is increased by known amounts until the beam is level and motionless. Also called scale.

2. A state of equilibrium or parity characterized by cancellation of all forces by equal opposing forces.

3. The power or means to decide: matters that fell outside the judge’s balance.

4.

a. A state of bodily equilibrium: thrown off balance by a gust of wind.

b. The ability to maintain bodily equilibrium: Gymnasts must have good balance.

5. A harmonious or satisfying arrangement or proportion of parts or elements, as in a design.

6. An influence or force tending to produce equilibrium; counterpoise.

7. The difference in magnitude between opposing forces or influences.

Balance – definition of balance by The Free Dictionary

I know so many struggle with finding balance in their lives.  We even have a pet phrase for it!  “Work-life balance.”  For lots of people, my husband included, I know it feels like too many companies don’t even know what that means for their employees.  But, that’s a particular topic for another post.

For me, balance boils down to the difference between taking care of everyone else, and taking care of me. 

I’m a firm believer in being a supportive wife and my husband and I have a more traditional kind of marriage where he works outside the home, and I do the things inside the home.  I think of it as the external provision he provides, and the internal provision I provide.  I stay home and homeschool the kids, maintain the place (if you could call it that, lol) and take care of my husband.  The man gets up at 5:30 am to go out in the cold and the heat, to deal with people who are not necessarily pleasant to deal with, to provide the income for us to have what we have.  So, I have no problems making the man a sandwich, or doing other things for him.  It’s how I appreciate his efforts.  He’s always asking how he can help around the house as a way to appreciate me and my efforts here.  [For the record, I don’t let him.  I’m more of a “get out of my kitchen!” kind of girl, lol.] 

However, the kids are getting older and while they still need me to a certain extent, they are beginning that phase of “out-growing” me.  They don’t need me to give them a bath, that sort of thing.  Their baby days are gone, but I do still need to continue teaching them things about being an adult, so while my job is not really diminished, it has shifted.

It feels like it’s okay now to provide a little taking care of me time.  I’ve had zero issues setting aside my personal wants in favor of my kids.  It’s what moms do.  But now, now it feels like my time is growing.  Time for me to do some of the things I enjoy doing.  The trick is finding the balance.  I think I can do it.  I believe I can.  I think I can juggle this thing.  Maybe not gracefully, though!  lol 

Time will show. 

How about you?  Have you had trouble balancing things in your life?  Have you managed to find a successful, workable balance?  If so, how? 

All rights reserved by Vanessence




via WordPress

Topics, Balance

No comments:

Post a Comment