Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Live Writer Lives!

 

There was an announcement today that will bring cheer to bloggers who have used and cherished Windows Live Writer. The team at Microsoft has been allowed to take this marvelous blogging tool to the open source community where its development and support can live on.

Live Writer Lives! | Live Writer Basics

It’s no secret that Windows Live Writer has been my favorite – heck, my ONLY blogging tool since I discovered it back in … 2008?  2009?  Gosh, I can’t even recall.  I can probably count on my fingers the number of posts I’ve done without it.  It’s like a do-all, be-all, one-stop-shopping tool for blogging.  And for people who have more than one blog, having all your blogs in one place is an awesome feat. 

Microsoft stopped updating it a few years ago though, 2012 was their last cycle.  It was designed for people to use with the old Windows Live Spaces, and after that died, well, Windows didn’t see much point in keeping up with the Writer, despite all the begging from the users who loved it. 

It’s such an awesome tool that it still works with many blogging services, including WordPress.  Not so much with Blogger though, because Google has changed their authentication process.  (All the more reason to switch to WordPress if you ask me.  Winking smile )

Recently, Microsoft released Live Writer into the open-source community, where a Microsoft employee who loves the Writer is getting a new open version off the ground.  It’s called Open Live Writer.  And it’s run totally by volunteers. 

Now, I can’t use it because right now they only have a version ready for Windows 10, and I’m (stubbornly) still on Windows 7.  Fortunately I can continue to use the standard MS release of Windows Live Writer

You Windows 10 WordPress users though, I encourage to give it a whirl and see what you think. 

And then let me know!

All rights reserved by Vanessence


Filed under: Re-Blog Tagged: Open Live Writer, Windows Live Writer

via WordPress

Re-Blog, Open Live Writer, Windows Live Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment