Friday, April 15, 2016

#atozchallenge Brought To You By The Letter M

Word of the Day: Minus

Well, I didn’t get my post written up last night, and now I’m minus coffee, that’s for doggone sure.  It’s probably still too early for me to actually be writing, but I don’t want to be minus a day for this challenge.

Can you believe we’re halfway through?!  We’re minus half, only half to go!  How are you holding up?

My mind keeps reaching for “sub-zero” when I try to think of something for minus, and I don’t want it to.  I suppose if I was raised in a place that measured temperatures in Celsius that would be true, because freezing is at 0°C.  But I was raised on the Fahrenheit scale, and freezing is still above zero for us.  When I was a little girl, the first time I saw the thermometer get below freezing, I thought it was the Apocalypse.  I’d seen meat in the freezer, I knew what happened when things got too cold, we were surely all going to die!  It was 28°F.  (I can hear you Northerners laughing!)

Then I moved to the Great Lakes region of the Midwest.

Yeah, that’ll teach you what minus temperatures are like!  A couple years after I got here, there was a cold snap and temperatures got to around minus 50°F, with wind chills in the minus 80°F range.  (Roughly -45°C and -65°C respectively)  Canadians mock me, I’m sure.  “That’s flip-flop weather for us, ya wimp!” 

People around here said I’d acclimate.  I never have.  I suppose I am minus the adaptive gene or something, lol. 

At least I am now no longer minus coffee.  Whew!

***** 

All rights reserved by Vanessence

*****

 #AtoZChallenge 

Blogging from A to Z April Challenge
Filed under: A-Z Blog Challenge Tagged: #atozchallenge, A-Z Blog Challenge

via WordPress

A-Z Blog Challenge, #atozchallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment